Saturday, October 13, 2012

AP Physics:C Mechanics

Hello everyone that reads my shazizzle, today I shall speak of my experiences with AP Mechanics. In essence, I really really really love AP Mechanics. I recommend that EVERYONE take it.
At my school, it's a really interesting course, because the teacher is a really cool guy- the only thing that really sucks about the course are the labs (they are really awful). I detest the labs, but the lectures are amazing, and if you understand calculus then mechanics is also just wonderful. I know lots of people say that they are awful at math and stuff, but people should realize that if they really want something- and they work hard for it, they can achieve it.
I really wish that education should be improved in the U.S. and the World. It is my belief that anyone can learn science, math, art, or anything that they want (unless they have a phyical/mental disability- that is a valid excuse). People definitely need to learn science- it governs our lives. Well that is my shpeel on academics.
One of the really cool things that we learned about in AP Mechanics was the Monkey-Hunter Experiment.
Suppose that one has a hunter, and his gun is pointed at angle theta at a monkey hanging from a tree (Figure 1.)
                                       Figure 1. (Aamir's Cute Diagram)
The monkey thinks he can outsmart the hunter and let go of the tree as soon as the hunter shoots his gun, but sadly, Bobo is wrong. You see, as a bullet travels, it also falls (laws of projectile motion), the only acceleration on the bullet is gravity. No matter if the monkey lets go, the acceleration on the monkey is also gravity, thus the bullet will always hit the monkey (as long as the gun was pointed in the right direction).
Some people at MIT also conducted this cool experiment which can be seen here:
Learning about Motion is very interesting, because we use math to prove it all, and it works! I know I'm a super-nerd, and I love it. <3 nbsp="nbsp" p="p">

No comments:

Post a Comment