Sunday, November 11, 2012

LGBTQ Rights In Islam

Bismillah (I Begin in The Name of Allah) 
Dear Peoples,

LGBTQ issues are quite relevant today, as there are a lot of LGBTQ people. What I find perplexing is that so many people (So many MUSLIM people) are so fixed on the fact that their interpretation of a few verses (which is based on cultural homophobia) is the legitimate one. 
In so many Muslim societies we find so much male-to-male rape occurring, and also hate crimes. 
An article about what goes on: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/opinion/sunday/a-boy-to-be-sacrificed.html?_r=4&src=tp&smid=fb-share
These crimes are sanctioned by those societies, but apparently constructive homosexual action based on love-which I believe is in accord with my religion- is seen as horrid. 

An argument for gay rights in Islam can be found in Dr. Kugle(who happens to be a revert to Islam, and a Homosexual)'s book: http://books.google.com/books/about/Homosexuality_in_Islam.html?id=q7GHQAAACAAJ

What I find incredibly funny about my own personal situation, is the fact that my parents will probably never understand. I know that the view that Homosexuality is a sin is ingrained in their blood, and I know that they won't listen to common sense. Oh well. I guess I'll have to remain celibate, or find a nice Muslim man, run away, and get eloped- this would break their hearts, which I don't want to do. So I guess it's eternal loneliness for me then.

I just feel as if there are Muslims out there that will listen, even if they aren't my parents. Allah (SWT) does give us hope though, throughout history, social change has come, slowly. It may take time, and that may be the reason why originally Islam did not stress gay issues (society couldn't handle it then). Islam didn't outlaw slavery either, but it led to a decline and eventual end to slavery in the Middle East. Maybe Allah has planned the same for us gays.

Allah Hafiz (Allah is The Protector)

-Aamir

No comments:

Post a Comment